OPENING YOUR DOOR TO STRANGERS
Take great care ...... you don't ever have to open the door.
Peepholes .... to see who's there
Wide-angle peepholes are a highly recommended viewing device because the person outside does not know that you see him / her.
Chain locks ..... a false sense of safety
They are not recommended because they are mounted with short screws and have weak chains.
Door wedges really work
A door wedge is a better alternative when you wish to open your door only a few inches to speak to a stranger. This device is useful for children and women who are alone at home. It can be found in most hardware stores.
Best thing is if you can use Close Circuit TV Based Interactive Door Bell which allows you to view and talk to a visitor without opening the door. And it also doesn't cost much, you will get good sets around 5000 to 7000 Rupees.
Use smoke alarms.
Test it regularly and replace batteries when needed.
- Security in an apartment building is as effective as you make it. Don't leave it entirely up to the superintendent of the building or the police. By following these suggestions you can make the building a safer place in which to live. Report suspicious persons to the building in charge and / or police.
- Report suspicious persons to the building incharge and / or police.
- When the buzzer rings, check the identify of the caller before opening the door. Refer unknown persons to the building incharge.
- Do not identify yourself as a female living alone-use only your initials on the building directory.
- Secure sliding doors on the balcony with "jimmy bars".
- Use more than one lock on the door.
- Use peepholes, door wedges and smoke alarms.
"Enjoy yourself, knowing that you left your home as secure as you reasonably could make it."